1. Most Blues begin, "Woke up this morning..."
2. "I got a good woman" is a bad way to begin the Blues, 'less you stick
something nasty in the next line like, "I got a good woman, with the
face in town."
3. The Blues is simple. After you get the first line right, repeat
it. Then find something that rhymes...sort of: "Got a good woman with the
meanest face in town. Yes, I got a good woman with the meanest face in
Got teeth like Margaret Thatcher, and she weigh 500 pound."
4. The Blues is not about choice. You stuck in a ditch, you stuck in a
ditch--ain't no way out.
5. Blues cars: Chevys, Fords, Cadillacs and broken-down trucks. Blues
travel in Volvos, BMWs, or Sport Utility Vehicles. Most Blues
is a Greyhound bus or a southbound train. Jet aircraft an'
motor pools ain't even in the runnin'. Walkin' plays a major part in the
blues lifestyle. So does fixin' to die.
6. Teenagers can't sing the Blues. They ain't fixin' to die yet.
Adults sing the Blues. In Blues, "adulthood" means being old enough to
the electric chair if you shoot a man in Memphis.
7. Blues can take place in New York City, but not in Hawaii or any
place in Canada. Hard times in Minneapolis or Seattle is probably just
clinical depression. Chicago, St. Louis, and Kansas City are still the
places to have the Blues. You cannot have the blues in any place that
8. A man with male pattern baldness ain't the blues. A woman with male
pattern baldness is. Breaking your leg cause you skiing is not the blues.
Breaking your leg 'cause a alligator be chompin' on it is.
9. You can't have no Blues in a office or a shopping mall. The
lighting is wrong. Go outside to the parking lot or sit by the dumpster.
10. Good places for the Blues: a. highway b. jailhouse c. empty bed d.
of a whiskey glass.
Bad places: a. Dillard's b. gallery openings c. Ivy League institutions
11. No one will believe it's the Blues if you wear a suit, 'less you
happen to be a old ethnic person, and you sleep in it.
12. Do you have the right to sing the Blues? Yes, if: a. you older
than dirt b. you blind c. you shot a man in Memphis d. you can't be
No, if: a. you have all your teeth b. you were once blind but now can see
the man in Memphis lived d. you have a 401K or trust fund
13. Blues is not a matter of color. It's a matter of bad luck. Tiger
Woods cannot sing the blues. Sonny Liston could. Ugly white people also
leg up on the blues.
14. If you ask for water and your darlin' give you gasoline, it's the
Blues. Other acceptable Blues beverages are: a. cheap wine b. whiskey or
bourbon c. muddy water d. nasty black coffee
The following are NOT Blues beverages: a. Perrier b. Chardonnay c.
15. If death occurs in a cheap motel or a shotgun shack, it's a Blues
Stabbed in the back by a jealous lover is another Blues way to die. So is
electric chair, substance abuse, and dying lonely on a broken-down cot.
can't have a Blues death if you die during a tennis match or getting
16. Some Blues names for women: a. Sadie b. Big Mama c. Bessie d. Fat
17. Some Blues names for men: a. Joe b. Willie c. Little Willie d. Big
18. Persons with names like Michelle, Amber, Debbie, and Heather can't
the Blues no matter how many men they shoot in Memphis.
19. Make your own Blues name Starter Kit: a. name of physical
infirmity (Blind, Cripple, Lame, etc.) b. first name (see above) plus
fruit (Lemon, Lime, Kiwi,etc.) c. last name of President (Jefferson,
Fillmore, etc.) For example, Blind Lime Jefferson, Jakeleg Lemon Johnson
Cripple Kiwi Fillmore, etc. (Well,maybe not "Kiwi.")
20. I don't care how tragic your life: if you own a computer, you
cannot sing the blues.