Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

When someone refers to manipulating graphical elements in a photo, wallpaper, background, etc. and they say they "vectored" something or that something in an object is a "vector"... what the holy fuck are they talking about?

I've never seen that word used that way and suddenly it seems it's being used to refer to something very specific that I just don't get.

Are these fuckers referring to putting a dark line around something? I've seen people refer to posterizing things as "vectoring" theme.... which is a goofy and pretty incorrect use. Is this just more of the same?

I'm old and I don't understand. Help me.


Jul. 25th, 2007 10:45 pm (UTC)
i have no idea what level of graphics crap you do, so i dunno if you've played with photoshop CS2 and CS3. buy, you can now have actual vector objects, without rasterizing them when imported.


and "vectoring" something is pretty specific, but i'm betting $5 is being used incorrectly: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raster_to_vector

in other news: a mosquito bit the bottom of my foot. i'm not even sure how to begin dealing with that.
Jul. 25th, 2007 10:54 pm (UTC)
Okay ... That makes total sense. I don't do a lot myself but I usually "get the process behind things. These people are using "Vector" to describe any addition or subtraction of elements from an image - which is just... uh... adding and subtracting elements. heh. So when they say "nice vectoring" they mean "you did a good job of making all the layers of your project look cohesive".

*bottom* of your foot is fucked up

Jul. 25th, 2007 11:03 pm (UTC)
i'm going to stifle my nerd fury upon hearing that misuse.

but i will have you know: i am twitching like a mofo over here.

yeah, i'm confused as to how it got under there, myself. but since the little fuckers delight in screwing with me, i figure: at least it's not a joint this time.
Jul. 25th, 2007 11:06 pm (UTC)
Speaking of which... I just took the dog out... swatted away mosquitoes several different times... still ended up with a bite on my right elbow and my left elbow pit.

fucking bug fuckers.
Jul. 27th, 2007 08:06 pm (UTC)
Hmm.. maybe it's absorbed a corporate buzzword somewhere? I know that in blogs, folks sometimes us "vector such_and_so" to indicate the source of a link or piece of info--not that that applies here, but maybe there's something similar going on. (However, I'm inclined to think "bastardization of vector graphics.")


A Non-Newtonian Fluid

Latest Month

March 2010

Page Summary

Powered by LiveJournal.com
Designed by Tiffany Chow